Before getting into what Tidal has and what it does not let me just explain in plain and simple terms what Tidal is all about. You must be knowing what Netflix is, a platform where you can watch movies and TV shows of the best quality available. Well, Tidal is the Netflix of the music world. It provides the best quality music that is available for a track or album. Mind you; I am not talking about the 128kbps or 320kbps quality tracks, Tidal provides you with the 1411kbps music file that comes in the flac format. You, of course, have to pay for it, but we will get down to that later.
Let us, therefore, start with the features of Tidal:
- It behaves like most music streaming services do. It streams music for the user to listen to from its massive library. Find your desired song, select the quality and then you can get down to listening to it.
- It has a radio also for the radio fans and quite a number of radio channels to go along with it ensuring that users are never short of choice.
- It has all the nuts and bolts of a regular music streaming service and therefore, is not very hard to use. If you have used a music streaming service before then operating Tidal should not be a problem at all.
- The display of the app is really nice. The black background makes it very attractive. The overall minimalistic design also makes it less cluttered and very easy to use.
- Tidal’s USP is its quality. It provides flac quality 1411 kbps music that no one else does, not even the big names.
- Tidal’s search faced some issues at the beginning like all other apps do but it has sorted them very efficiently and currently it is one of the best ever.
- There are 25 million flac tracks already with the number increasing by the hour.
- There is also the standard social media sharing buttons that are present so that you can let everybody know what you are listening to.
- Tidal offers the high res music at $10. Its current owner is famed American rapper Jay-Z.
Tidal is an app that is similar to all other music apps that are available and something that I have already spoken about. So, let us get into its USP which is something many people may not be aware of. Tidal’s biggest motivation is that music should also develop in quality like all other things do, especially in the audio and visual industry. So they are moving up in aspects that others are just thinking about.
What is this flac you are continuously hearing about?
flac is an audio format just like mp3, ogg, aac and the like. You must be well aware that one single track can be compressed in a lot of ways which is incidentally the basis of their extension names and file sizes. The higher the bitrate goes from 96kbps to 320kbps the better the sound quality. Now, all the music raw files have to be compressed in order to transform them into a format that is recognizable for media players. All music conversions, from mp3 to aac suffer some losses in music quality during this process but the format that Tidal mainly uses does not have any such consequences. It is, therefore, termed as a lossless music source, unlike the others which are lossy.
Tidal is one of the best music streaming apps currently. It is available for Android as well as iOS. If you are partial to great music quality then Tidal is the best choice you have.